Significance of Navratri Fasting: Relationship Between Fasting and The Body
Navratri is known for Navratri fasting as well. You will be amazed to know that Navratri fasting benefits are many and this has a close relationship with nature and the human body.
For India and Indian, especially Hindus, Navratri is more than a festival. It is their culture, which they have inherited from their ancestors. In addition to worshipping the Goddess Durga and nine forms of Durga, Navratri is known for Navratri fasting as well. You will be amazed to know that Navratri fasting benefits are many and this has a close relationship with nature as well.
Let’s see what is the relation of Navratri fasting with our body, and how it helps us to stay fit and top of our health. So that when your parents ask you to observe fast during Navratri, you don’t discard their values in the absence of knowledge.
Navratri Fasting Relationship To Nature
There are four Navratri that people of India celebrate but two are more significant chaitra and sharad. This comes twice in a year, Chaitra Navratri that comes in March-April and Sharad Navratri that comes in October-November.
March-April and October-November is the time when the transition happens in weather in India and Asia. In March weather heads from winter to summer, and in October-November it heads from summer to winter. This is also the time when the transition takes place in our body as well to cope up with the changing weather.
The Navratri fasting helps the body in the same. It prepares the body to deal with change and slowly get it back to the new normal. This is the association of navratri fasting with nature and the human body.
What Are The Benefits Of Navratri Fasting?
Navratri fasting is not all about pleasing God, it is about cleansing the body. Turning inside and working to recharge with new energy. It’s about reducing the mind’s restlessness and bring in bliss and joy.
According to Ayurveda, fasting improves digestion and cleanse the body. It removes toxins when toxins are removed it lose lethargy and dullness. The body cells are rejuvenated, the mind becomes peaceful and calmer because of the intense connection between the mind and the body.
Get The Benefit of Satvik During Fastening
During Navratri fasting, satvik food is consumed. The satvik food meaning, food with no additives. The satvik food along with prayer increases positivity and tranquillity. The increase in stave increases our energy, makes our mind alert and peaceful. This makes our prayer more powerful.
Right Way To Observe Fast In Navratri
People in India have a different concept of fasting, and different people observe it differently. For some fasting means just removing regular grains, vegetables from the food, while for some it is like complete omission food. Both methods of fasting are wrong.
First of all, it is not necessary to observe fast for nine days. This way, you will starve your body. Instead, go for easy fasting by omitting heavy grains like pulses, wheat from your diet.
Remove spices, non-vegetarian food, oil from the diet. Switch to lighter food like green vegetables, fruits, less oily food. This will keep your mind alert, concentrated.
Do and Don’t Of Navratri Fasting
- Don’t do complete fasting for nine days. Some people don’t consume any food for nine days, which is wrong
- Don’t consume high calorie fried food. Many people eat potatoes, kuttu ke ate ki poori, halwa, etc for nine days. This is wrong.
- Don’t avoid medication
- Old age people, people on medication are not allowed to observe fast, and they shouldn’t do that.
- Don’t eat lots of food in a single meal
- Don’t eat a lot after breaking the fast.
- Don’t do a heavy workout if you are fasting for nine days.
- Add lots of fruits and green vegetables in the diet
- Eat less oily and spicy food. This will help you in coping up with the changing weather.
- Combine the fasting with yoga to reap more benefits.
- Break your fast with a gradual change in diet. Go slow, don’t jump to all the foods that you have avoided for nine days.
- Add plenty of water in the diet
- Add juices
What To Eat During Navratri Fasting
- Start your day with usual snacks and drink. Water, tea and a small number of roasted peanuts/dry fruits.
- In breakfast, take sago kheer/fruit salad/singhare ke ate ka halwa. One portion.
- Before lunch, take one serving of fruit or vegetable salad.
- In lunch, take fruit custard, curd with potatoes/ fast rice.
- Evening snacks, some roasted dry fruits/peanuts and tea
- Dinner same as lunch.
- Consume juices and water to stay hydrated and meet your body calorie requirements.